Almost finished, you can just about see one of the hop bags floating around
Using my new immersion cooler to get the wort down to around 20 degrees
Yeast pitched and put in the brew fridge to ferment.
It looks like the yeast starter is doing it’s job – Just a couple of hours after pitching the yeast, there’s a big krausen forming on the top – You can just about make it out in the last pic. Fingers crossed for the next 2 weeks 🙂
I’m planning to brew another batch of beer this weekend, however this one has a much higher estimated Starting Gravity (1.063) than any I’ve made in the past. Most of the advice I’ve read suggests that making a yeast starter would be a good idea.
The most efficient way of making a yeast starter would be to stick the starter on a stir plate. “Proper” stir plates can cost anywhere from £50 to over £200! So, I set about making my own on the cheap.
Armed with the following parts from Amazon, I set to work:
Remove all the rubber feet and then the mesh grills from the fan. Re-attach 2 of the feet to what will be the “bottom” of the fan on opposite corners & squeeze the lot into the project box. Glue a couple of magnets to the fan, noting the polarity so the sides facing up oppose each other – Double check with the stir bar to ensure it’s attracted to both magnets at once.
Squeeze the fan into the project box, the 2 rubber feet will hold it in place.
Glue a couple of the magnets to the fan, directly opposite each other. Note the polarity, the sides facing up should oppose each other!
Push the fan into the box, but not too far – You want it so the magnets will spin just below the plastic lid without rubbing or getting caught on the ridges. Snip a little notch in the plastic on the base & lid of the box to let the cable through and screw the lid on. With luck powering it up will get you the following:
Test successful! I’ve got my own Wizard of Oz whirlpool!
Boiling some water with DME
Flask, temperature probe, stir plate and flask at the ready!
My starter should be ready for the weekend, when I’ll be giving my Zombie Dust clone a shot…
I’ve recently got back into brewing beer at home again and have made the switch from doing simple pre-made extract kits to following & adjusting extract recipes. A few weeks ago I brewed my first extract beer, following a friends recipe for an American IPA. It’s turned out quite nice!
We’ve been using Microsoft Dynamics 2013 at work for a little while now. One thing that’s been on my to-do list since the beginning has been automating the creation of CRM accounts when our internal hosting system had a new account added.
On and off over the past couple of months, I’ve been trying various pieces of sample code dotted here and there and have not managed to get anything working. Until now that is.
The sample code came from a surprising source, Microsoft themselves! 🙂 Hidden away in the Dynamics CRM 2011 SDK is some PHP code. The code as-is is broken and won’t login to a Dynamics 2013 instance that uses Office 365 live-id’s for authentication. However, with a little tweaking it’s possible to get it all working!
Last November the Orange contract on my old HTC Desire-Z phone came up for renewal. I’ve been intrigued by the new Windows Phone system since its original launch but never really though about switching, at least until a friend lent me his old Samsung Omnia 7.
This phone runs the older Windows Phone 7.5 system, but is good enough to get an idea of what switching to a new Windows Phone would be like. I really liked the new system and just before Christmas I decided to make the switch. I’ve now got a nice new shiny HTC 8X on Three and I love it!
Here’s a quick list of the Windows Phone apps I’ve found essential so far…
7Pass – A Keepass password database client. Nicely hooks into Skydrive/Dropbox too.