Last November the Orange contract on my old HTC Desire-Z phone came up for renewal. ?I’ve been intrigued by the new Windows Phone system since its original launch but never really though about switching, at least until a friend lent me his old Samsung Omnia 7.
This phone runs the older Windows Phone 7.5 system, but is good enough to get an idea of what switching to a new Windows Phone would be like. ?I really liked the new system and just before Christmas I decided to make the switch. ?I’ve now got a nice new shiny HTC 8X on Three and I love it!
Here’s a quick list of the Windows Phone apps I’ve found essential so far…
- 7Pass?- A Keepass password database client. ?Nicely hooks into Skydrive/Dropbox too.
- Baconit?- A great Reddit client app
- CrashPlan?- Monitor/restore data from Crashplan cloud backups
- NextGen Reader?- A great Google Reader client. ?Syncs articles for offline reading too.
- Podcatcher?- Probably the best Podcast app in the Windows Phone Store. ?Could do with a couple of extra useful features, but it’s updated on a regular basis…
- Rowi?- A fantastic Twitter client, again it’s probably the best available.
- Token2Shell/WP?- An SSH client app.
- TV Guide+?- There’s no official Sky TV Guide app yet, so this is the next best thing.
- XBMC Remote?- The best XBMC remote control app I’ve seen on any platform.